News & Events
Events & Fundraisers
Our dedicated staff, with the help of loyal volunteers, hosts events throughout the year. Each event is unique and engaging – thank you to all who participate!
Hosting an Event or Fundraiser
For more information, contact Juliana Stefani (585) 413-4077
Upcoming Events and Fundraisers:
RHINOS CHARITY NIGHT
The Rochester Rhinos will welcome Foodlink and other area non-profits and charities to its Sept. 10 Charity Night game on Sept. 10 against New York Red Bulls II.
Fans interested in supporting both the Rhinos and Foodlink can purchase tickets right here. For every $15 ticket sold, $5 goes toward Foodlink and its mission to end hunger.
TAKE ROOT: A GARDEN-BASED LEARNING WORKSHOP
Join us for an all-day regional workshop for garden educators and Master Gardener Volunteers Oct. 19 at the Irondequoit Library (1290 Titus Ave.). This multi-track workshop from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. is organized by Finger Lakes Eat Smart New York, Cornell Garden-Based Learning and Cornell Cooperative Extension.
Participants can expect to learn from fellow educators who have built successful school gardening programs. Pick up tips and best practices based on ecologically-sound techniques.
Red Tail Ridge Winery: Good Karma
Red Tail Ridge Winery is proud to support Foodlink by doing what they do best, making wine. 10% of the profits from their Good Karma wine goes to Foodlink. For more information on the wine, the winery and where to purchase Good Karma click here.
Festival of Food
SAVE THE DATE: Sept. 19, 2016; TICKETS ON SALE NOW!
Festival of Food features more than 100 local restaurants, wineries, breweries, bakeries and specialty food purveyors. It’s the best and biggest food and drink tasting event in the region!
Join us Monday, Sept. 19 between 6 and 9 p.m. at the City of Rochester Public Market for Foodlink’s annual fundraiser and celebrate the best food and drink that the Rochester area has to offer. Tickets ($50) are on sale online and at local Wegmans stores. A limited number of tickets will be made available on the day of the event for $60.
Vendors can contact Jeff Fleming (email@example.com, (585) 413-4081) with any questions and can mail completed packets to: Foodlink, Attn: Jeffrey Fleming, 1999 Mt Read Blvd, Rochester, NY 14615
Confirmed sponsors for 2016
Wegmans (Lead sponsor)
Big Apple Deli Products
The Bonadio Group
Conway Beam Leasing
Animal Hospital of Pittsford
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church
Hunger Action Month
September is Hunger Action Month (HAM). HAM is the Feeding America® network’s nationwide awareness campaign designed to mobilize the public to take action on the issue of hunger. The campaign brings attention to the reality of food insecurity in the United States and promotes ways for individuals to get involved in the movement to help end hunger. Hunger is a reality for more than 48 million Americans. We need to make sure that no child, adult or senior goes to sleep on an empty stomach.
Events are planned throughout the month to raise awareness about the effort to build a healthy, hunger-free community.
- 30 Ways in 30 Days Calendar: A call to action calendar about hunger is a great resource on how you can do something about hunger all month long. Check out the calendar below, or print yourself a copy.
- Government Proclamations: City Hall and the NYS Assembly have designated September as Hunger Action Month. The Monroe, Orleans and Allegany county legislatures have — or are on the verge of — issuing proclamations as well!
- Take our quiz (Coming soon): Do you know how serious the issue of hunger is in the Rochester and Finger Lakes region? Take a quick quiz, which will be available on Sept. 1.
- Lighting of the Library: The Rundell Library in Downtown Rochester will ‘go orange’ for Foodlink by displaying orange lighting for the first half of September.
- Hunger Action Day: Orange is the color of hunger (the first food stamps were orange). On Sept. 8, wear orange to show your support and raise awareness.
- “On an empty stomach …”: The theme for this year’s Hunger Action Month is that Americans who suffer from hunger cannot reach their full potential. YOU can bring awareness to this devastating feeling by participating in a quick exercise on social media. | Print me out, share with the world
- Social Media: Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram. Change your Facebook and Twitter profile and cover pics to orange. Then post pictures online and tag #hungeractionmonth and mention @foodlinkny.
- Festival of Food: The annual tasting event is Sept. 19. More than 100 restaurants, wineries and breweries will offer samples of the best food and drink from the Rochester/Finger Lakes region. Proceeds benefit Foodlink.
- Fill the Bus: Our annual campaign to urge the public to donate food for our BackPack Program, which we coordinate with 13WHAM, Fox Rochester, the CW and Wegmans, runs Sept. 9-24. Look out for details soon regarding a kickoff event on the 9th!
Hunger Action Month is about action. Donate. Volunteer. Advocate. Do what you can to help end hunger is this community.
More resources are available at hungeractionmonth.org.
Fill the Bus
Fill the bus and help fill the bellies of hungry children in the Rochester region.
Wegmans, Foodlink, 13WHAM, Fox Rochester, and the CW team up for a two-week food drive, “Fill the Bus” to benefit Foodlink’s BackPack program, which alleviates child hunger on weekends and school breaks. Our 2016 Fill the Bus campaign runs from Sept. 9-24.
Shoppers can visit their local Wegmans stores and donate suggested items for the BackPack program. Each store had wish lists posted as well as suggested items for sale. Shoppers also could purchase $5 or $10 bags filled with the most-needed items. All donations stayed in the Rochester and Finger Lakes region.
Foodlink operates the BackPack program at more than 80 area schools, reaching more than 4,000 children during the 2015-16 school year. Each Friday or before a holiday, a child is given a bag in their backpack filled with enough healthy, kid-friendly meals to last all weekend. The hope is by alleviating child hunger, these children can be focused on school and success.
In its first two years, the Fill the Bus food drive has brought in more than 189,000 pounds of food. The goal for the third year (2015) was 160,000 pounds of food — enough to fill 40,000 bags of food for the children. (An average bag weighs 4 lbs). Thanks to Wegmans, 13WHAM and amazing participation by the community, 197,852 pounds of food was donated to our program. Thanks to all who donated!
Other important info:
- 1 in 5 children in our area are considered food insecure – which basically means they do not know where their next meal is coming from.
- Suggested items included healthy, kid-friendly food such as: healthy cereal, oatmeal cups, applesauce cups, granola bars, macaroni and cheese, juice boxes (100% fruit), boxed raisins, peanut butter, canned tuna or chicken, canned fruit and vegetables (pop-tops preferred)
Check Out Hunger
Check Out Hunger is a point-of-sale campaign at local partnering grocers. Coupons for $2, $3, and $5 are placed at all registers. Every time you are grocery shopping, say ‘YES’ when your cashier asks if you would like to Check Out Hunger! The money raised from this campaign directly supports programs that help end hunger and to leverage the power of food to build a healthier community.
Visit local Tops stores and independent retailers (below) from January 30, 2016 to February 20, 2016 to participate!
- TOPS Markets
- Abundance Cooperative Market, Rochester
- Big M, Gates
- Breen’s Market, Williamson
- Breen’s Market, Palmyra
- Caledonia Marketplace, Caledonia
- Hart’s Local Grocers, Rochester
- Hegedorn’s Market, Webster
- Herrema’s Marketplace, Irondequoit
- Lori’s Natural Foods, Henrietta
- Perry Food Market, Perry
- West’s Shurfine, Honeoye
- West’s Shurfine, Livonia
Thank you for supporting Foodlink!
Food for Families
Food for Families is one of the largest food and funds drives for Foodlink, and a collaboration with Tops Friendly Markets and WROC-TV. In 2015, shoppers dropped off food and/or monetary donations to local Tops stores on Dec.11, helping us to bring in over $23,000 and more than 60,000 pounds of food! WROC-TV reported live throughout the day, rotating between the Mt. Read, Brighton, Perinton and Spencerport stores. Thank you to everyone who stopped by to support our efforts to end hunger and leverage the power of food to build a healthier community.
We hope to see you again for another great year in 2016. Please check back in November 2016 to learn more about dates and locations!
Forks & Skis
Forks and Skis is a ski event at Bristol Mountain open to the public for those interested in hitting the slopes while helping Foodlink fulfill its mission of a healthy, hunger-free community. Our 2016 event, which marked the fourth year that Foodlink has been involved, raised more than $27,000!
The event was previously named the Muxy Ski-Off in honor of the late Gary Muxworthy, a sports enthusiast who devoted much of his life to raising money for charities through exciting sporting events.
Please check out the Forks & Skis Facebook page with a gallery of photos from the past events.
- Bristol Mountain Lift Pass
- Lunch in the Bristol Mountain Ski Lodge
- Admission in to the NASTAR Open Timing Race (optional)
- ‘Dash for Cash’ (top 8 Mens and Women from the Open Timing Race are eligible)
- One Free drink at our Apres Ski party! The Apres Ski party will feature a cash bar, awards presentation for the ‘Dash for Cash’, and music by the WillBillys!
Thank you to our 2016 sponsors:
Head of the Class
Five Star Improvements
Webster Properties / The Mountainside Lodge
Culver Road Armory
FL Gorman, Esq.
Kenney Shelton Liptak Nowak LLP
Mead Malloy Insurance Agency
Park Ave Bike Shop
Dunkin Donuts/The Ribeiro Companies
Spezio Property Services
Stifel/The Brown Group
Woods Oviatt Gilman
Aloi Materials Handling
AM Stern Roofing
Jeff Balta and Family
Dawn Aprile Real Estate Developer
Donovan Real Estate Services
FDP Management, LLC.
HighPoint Business Park
Leo J Roth Corp.
My House Digital
Pittsford-Brighton Snowplowing and Landscape Services, Inc
The Pierce Family
The Mens Room
Superior Contracting Services (SCS)
Sign and Lighting Services (SLS)
Iron Smoke Whiskey
Jacqueline Hopkinson, Esq / Woodbury Corp.
One Step Tree and Lawn Care
Rochester Home Builders
Village Gate/Gary Stern
Welch & O’Donoghue Surveyors
Newsletters & Press
- 2016 Spring Newsletter
- 2015 Annual Report
- 2015 Fall Newsletter
- 2015 Spring Newsletter
- 2014 Annual Report
- 2014 Fall Newsletter
- 2012-13 Annual Report
Foodlink’s monthly e-newsletter
Get email updates about the latest Foodlink news, including events, fundraisers and ways you can help make a difference.
In the news …
- (8/19, Fox Rochester) The Festival of Food is a month away
- (8/17, WXXI) Wheelchair-accessible truck joins Curbside Market fleet
- (8/16, News 8) Foodlink celebrates Curbside Market’s expansion
- (7/16, D&C) Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down (Curbside Market)
- (7/8, 13 WHAM) Food trucks expand Summer Meals program in Rochester
- (7/1, D&C) Bryant: Growing food for the hungry
- (6/28, WXXI) Changes in federal regulations may mean busier time for local food banks
- (6/27, News 8) City Summer Meals program starts
- (6/5, Healthy Edge Radio) Foodlink talks Curbside Market & more
- (5/25, News 8) Foodlink and Dunkin’ Donuts team up to fight hunger in Rochester
- (5/25, 13 WHAM) Dunkin’ Donuts teams up with Foodlink in fight against hunger
- (5/24, News 8) Dunkin’ fundraiser supports Foodlink
- (5/14, TWC News) Combating Summer Hunger One Bite At A Time
- (5/14, WHEC) Summer meals program works to provide food for kids
- (5/11, 13WHAM) Work begins on new Foodlink kitchen on Mt. Read Blvd.
- (5/11, News 8) Foodlink expansion underway
- (5/11, TWC News) Foodlink to triple capacity with Community Kitchen providing 12,000 meals a day
- (5/11, WXXI) Foodlink’s New Community Kitchen
Recent Press Releases / Media alerts (date sent to media)
- (8/16) Foodlink’s Curbside Market debuts new vehicle, joins SNAP savings program
- (7/21) Cooking Matters at the Store returns to Price Rite
- (5/14) Summer Meals Fest welcomes hundreds to Frontier Field
- (5/11) Foodlink, officials celebrate Community Kitchen groundbreaking
- (3/29) Girl Scouts partner with Foodlink to fight hunger
- (3/18) Urban Agriculture Working Group City-wide Conference
- (3/8) Cooking Matters At The Store at Price Rite
- (2/25) 9th annual Canstruction Rochester kickoff event
- (2/17) Forks & Skis charity event at Bristol Mountain
- (2/3) Check Out Hunger at Tops and other local stores