News & Events
Events & Fundraisers
Our dedicated staff, with the help of loyal volunteers, hosts events throughout the year. Each event is unique and engaging – thank you to all who participate!
Hosting an Event or Fundraiser
Upcoming Events and Fundraisers:
Warrior Factory Food Drive
The Warrior Factory is hosting a food drive during the first two weeks of November (11/1- 11/15)! Come check out the world’s first Obstacle Park, and support Foodlink’s Backpack Program. For every qualifying food item (see a list of needed BackPack items below) you will receive $1 off general admission to any Open Gym (Up to $5).
Open Gym schedule is available online at www.thewarriorfactory.com. The Warrior Factory is located in the Kohl’s plaza in Henrietta (3150 W.Henrietta Rd) and is fun for all ages!
- Canned tuna or chicken
- Cans of beans (black, cannellini, kidney)
- Boxed macaroni and cheese
- Canned chunky soups/stews, with 7g or more of protein/serving (Please no condensed soups)
- Single-serve cereal
- Single-serve oatmeal packets
- 15oz can of fruit packed in water or 100% juice
- 15oz can of vegetables
Red Tail Ridge Winery: Good Karma
Red Tail Ridge Winery is proud to support Foodlink by doing what they do best, making wine. Ten percent of the profits from their Good Karma wine goes to Foodlink.
In December of 2017, the winery announced that more than $30,800 has been donated since the fundraiser began!
For more information on the wine, the winery and where to purchase Good Karma, click here.
Festival of Food
The 2018 Festival of Food is Sept. 17, 2018!
Festival of Food, Foodlink’s annual fundraiser, features more than 100 local restaurants, wineries, breweries, bakeries and specialty food purveyors. It’s the best and biggest food and drink tasting event in the region! Join us Monday, Sept. 17 between 6 and 9 p.m. at the City of Rochester Public Market to celebrate the best food and drink that the Rochester area has to offer.
VIP tickets include: A designated, VIP parking area, a pre-event happy hour at 5 p.m. with a complimentary drink courtesy of Cure; and early entry to the festival at 5:30 p.m. (skip the lines!).
On the day of the event, $60 tickets will be available at the door.
2017 PHOTOS: Facebook album from the event
Our Festival of Food map is out! Find out where your favorite vendor will be on the 17th!.
Here is a full list of vendors, categorized:
Dolci Pastries and Confections
Donna Marie’s Gluten Free Bakery
Eat Me Ice Cream
Get Caked Bakery
Hedonist Artisan Chocolates
Jon John’s Bakery
Julep Bake Shop
Kiss Me Cookie
Sweet and Cute Sweets
Taste of Supreme
East Coast Toast
Happy Earth Tea
Joe Bean Coffee Roasters
Red Jacket Orchards
Cooking and Eating Healthy with Phil
Gray Ghost Gourmet
Headwater/Good Food Collective
Hettie’s Delites Café
James Browns Place
Jetty at The Port
Market at M/body
Meals By DeLeo
Napa Woodfired Pizza
Ox and Stone
The Daily Refresher
Watermark Retirement Communities
Wegmans Burger Bar
Wegmans Next Door
Wegmans Pittsford Innovation Poke
Wegmans The Pub
Cosimano + Ferrari Olive Oil Co.
Evoke Healthy Foods
F. Olivers Oils & Vinegar
Fare Game Food Co
Florida Nut House
Mountain Rise Organics
Once Again Nut Butter
A Gust of Sun Winery
Black Button Distillery
CB Craft Brewers
Deer Run Winery
Embark Craft Ciderworks
Fifth Frame Brewing Co
Genesee Brew House
Heron Hill Winery
Honeoye Falls Distillery
Iron Smoke Distillery
JD Wine Cellars
Knucklehead Craft Brewing
Living Roots Wine & Co
Naked Dove Brewing
OSB Ciderworks/ Stumpblower
Red Tail Ridge Winery
Roc Brewing Co.
Roc House Brands (lidestri)
Rohrbach Brewing Company
Three Brothers Wineries
Three Heads Brewing
We’d like to thank Wegmans Food Markets once again for serving as our lead (Main Course) sponsor for the Festival of Food. If you’d like to learn more about sponsorship opportunities — or any other festival details — contact:
Juliana Stefani, email@example.com
Thank you to our 2018 sponsors!
Food Truck Face Off
We once again partnered with 13 WHAM for the Food Truck Face Off — a contest to determine Rochester’s best food truck!
The public nominated and voted for their favorite Rochester food truck between July 12 and Aug. 29! Those who nominated OR voted for a truck were automatically entered to win 2 FREE Festival of Food tickets!
This year’s contest had 1,343 partcipants casting a total of 2,478 votes for 29 different food trucks. And the winner was …
Congrats to Rob’s Kabob’s!
Rob’s garnered 599 votes to take home the top prize. Twist This LLC (511), Rustic Taco (430), Chef’s Catering (307) and Meat the Press (114) rounded out the top 5. Thanks to all who participated, especially our two Festival of Food ticket winners, Erica Marciano of Spencerport, and Amanda Frisch of Webster!
Hunger Action Month
September is Hunger Action Month (H.A.M.), which is the Feeding America® network’s annual awareness campaign designed to mobilize the public to take action on the issue of hunger. The campaign brings attention to the reality of food insecurity in the United States and promotes ways for individuals to get involved in the movement to help end hunger. Food insecurity affects more than 41 million Americans in every corner of our nation — and more than 147,000 people (1 out of every 8) in Foodlink’s 10-county service area. This month, we raise our voice to ensure that no child, adult or senior goes to sleep on an empty stomach.
Events are planned throughout the month to raise awareness about our effort to build a healthy, hunger-free community. A great resource to learn about ways YOU can get involved is available below with our annual Hunger Action Month calendar. Download, print it, read it … take action!
Other ways to get involved!
- Volunteer. Donate. Advocate: There are many ways you can help Foodlink better serve our neighbors in need:
- Hunger Action Day: Orange is the color of hunger (the first food stamps were orange). On Sept. 13, wear orange to show your support and raise awareness!
- Social Media: Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram. Tag #hungeractionmonth and mention @foodlinkny to show us how you’re taking action in September!
- Fill the Bus: Our annual campaign and food drive that supports our BackPack Program started early this year! However there’s still time to buy a bag of food at Wegmans during Labor Day weekend!
- Festival of Food: Our annual fundraiser is Sept. 17 at the City of Rochester Public Market (6-9 p.m.). More than 100 restaurants, wineries, breweries and more will offer samples of the best food and drink from the Rochester/Finger Lakes region. Proceeds benefit Foodlink. | Purchase tickets
- Listen! Interested in the topic of hunger and food insecurity? Check out our list of podcasts and other links that may inspire you to take action!
- Watch a film! Check out our list of movies about the subject of hunger. Set aside some time to sit down and watch one during Hunger Action Month!
- Take our quiz! How much do you know about Foodlink and the scope of what we do? Take this 10-question exam to see how you do!
Hunger Action Month is about action. Donate. Volunteer. Advocate. Do what you can to help end hunger is our community!
More resources are available at hungeractionmonth.org.
Fill the Bus
Fill the Bus and help fill the bellies of children in the Rochester region.
Foodlink, Wegmans, Fidelis Care, and our media sponsors at 13WHAM ABC, WUHF Fox Rochester, and CW Rochester will team up once again for our “Fill the Bus” food drive to benefit Foodlink’s BackPack program, which alleviates child hunger on weekends and school breaks. Each Friday or before a holiday, a child who is at risk of food insecurity is given a bag in their backpack filled with enough healthy, kid-friendly meals to last all weekend. Children who are properly nourished are more attentive in class, can concentrate better on exams, and have a better chance of graduating.
***Our 2018 Fill the Bus campaign runs from August 18 through September 4***
Shoppers can visit their local Wegmans stores and donate suggested items for the BackPack program at checkout. Each store has wishlists posted as well as suggested items for sale. Shoppers also could purchase bags ranging from $5 to $20 filled with the most-needed items. All donations stay in the Rochester and Finger Lakes region.
Foodlink operates the BackPack program at more than 80 area schools, and reached more than 4,000 children during the 2017-18 school year.
Last year, thanks to generosity of Wegmans shoppers, we were able to collect more than 305,000 pounds of food through the 2017 Fill the Bus campaign!!!
The Rochester community has responded graciously to this annual campaign, and each year, donations have increased. Since 2013, approximately 940,000 pounds of food have been collected for the BackPack Program!
Year ………. Pounds
2013 ………. 50,410
2014 ………. 138,637
2015 ………. 197,852
2016 ………. 247,883
2017 ………. 305,073
Other important info:
- 1 in 5 children in our area are considered food insecure – which essentially means they do not know where their next meal is coming from.
- Suggested items included healthy, kid-friendly food such as: healthy cereal, oatmeal cups, applesauce cups, granola bars, macaroni and cheese, juice boxes (100% fruit), boxed raisins, peanut butter, canned tuna or chicken, canned fruit and vegetables (pop-tops preferred)
- Learn more about ways to support the BackPack program.
Check Out Hunger
Check Out Hunger is a point-of-sale campaign at local partnering grocers — held twice annually at participating stores. Every time you are grocery shopping, say ‘YES’ when your cashier asks if you would like to Check Out Hunger! The money raised from this campaign directly supports Foodlink programs that help end hunger and build a healthier community.
Tops Friendly Markets and several other local grocers hold a Check Out Hunger campaign with Foodlink and other regional food banks every winter.
This year’s campaign is set for January 28 through February 17!
Since 2006, TOPS has raised more than $3.6 million for food banks in New York, Pennsylvania and Vermont.
Aside from dozens of Tops stores in Foodlink’s 10-county service area, other independent grocers signed up to take part include:
Abundance Cooperative Market (Rochester), Breen’s Shop’n Save (Williamson), Breen’s Market (Palmyra), Caledonia Marketplace, Hegedorns (Webster), Herrema’s Marketplace (Rochester), Lori’s Natural Foods (Henrietta), Perry Food Market, West’s Shurfine (Honeoye & Livonia) and Gates Big M (Spencerport).
A few other local business also have agreed to support Foodlink in the spirit of Check Out Hunger. Knucklehead Craft Brewing in Webster is pledging to donate $1 for every Kathy’s Kreme Ale sold at their brewery during the campaign. At the City of Rochester Public Market, The Florida Nut House and Yerba Maté Cafe are also accepting donations.
Thank you to Wegmans and ALL of the shoppers who donated this year. We raised a grand total of $638,123!!!
This funding is critical to many of the food-related programs at Foodlink, and it’s support that we count on each year to help us serve our community. Thank you for your continued support!
Food for Families
THANK YOU to everyone who helped make our 2017 Food for Families event a tremendous success!
Tops and Foodlink streamlined its food donation and collection process this year and we finished with 143,175 POUNDS of food to help our neighbors in need. That’s more than double last year’s total!!! The event also raised more than $11,000!
We are grateful for the support of Tops, WROC-TV, WCMF Radio, all of our community partners and, of course, the shoppers who donated this year.
See you all in 2018!
We’re excited to once again partner with WROC-TV and Tops Friendly Markets for the annual Food for Families campaign this year!
This year, we’re also pleased to have WCMF Radio join us as we plan another successful campaign to benefit our neighbors in need.
Last year, we were able to collect 61,122 pounds of food and raise more than $12,000!
The 11th annual Food for Families event is scheduled for Dec. 8, 2017. The campaign itself, featuring our “Little Brown Bags of Hope,” will be hitting Tops locations starting on Nov. 19. Shoppers have the option of donating $5 (breakfast), $10 (lunch) and $20 (dinner) at the register when they check out. Donations are also accepted via the Tops website.
On Dec. 8, the campaign will culminate with an all-day celebration that will be broadcast live by WROC-TV at two main Tops locations in Greece (3507 Mt. Read Blvd.) and Henrietta (1225 Jefferson Road). WCMF’s The Break Room and Kane-O will also be live in the morning and evening.
Visit News 8’s website to learn more about the event, including an exciting eBay auction with great holiday gifts, and how area businesses can get involved and support food-insecure families in our region.
Thank you to everyone who has stopped by in the past to support our efforts. We hope to see you again this year!
Forks & Skis
Forks and Skis is an event at Bristol Mountain for anyone interested in hitting the slopes while helping Foodlink fulfill its mission of a healthy, hunger-free community. In five years, the event has raised more than $100,000!
The event, which takes place in a reserved section of the Bristol Mountain lodge, begins at noon and lasts through 6:30 p.m. In addition to a day of sking, there will be lunch, Après Ski, live musical entertainment from The Bromigos and multiple raffle items!
The event was previously named the Muxy Ski-Off in honor of the late Gary Muxworthy, a sports enthusiast who devoted much of his life to raising money for charities through exciting sporting events.
Please check out the Forks & Skis Facebook page with a gallery of photos from past events.
For further information about the event and sponsorship opportunities, contact Juliana Stefani at 585-413-4077, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Non-sponsorship ticket prices:
$100 – Skier (if you DON’T already own a Bristol pass)
$50 – Skier (if you DO already own a Bristol pass)
$50 – Non-skier
- Bristol Mountain Lift Pass
- Lunch in the Bristol Mountain Ski Lodge
- Admission in to the NASTAR Open Timing Race (optional)
- ‘Dash for Cash’ (top 8 Mens and Women from the Open Timing Race are eligible)
- One free drink at our Apres Ski party! The Apres Ski party will feature a cash bar, awards presentation for the ‘Dash for Cash’, and live entertainment.
Thank you to our growing list of 2018 Sponsors!
“Got your Back” sponsors
Head of the Class sponsor
Donovan Real Estate Services
Jeff & Raeleen Balta
Gallina Development Corp.
Leo J. Roth
PICS Telecom & Sandstone Technologies
Ribeiro / Dunking Donuts
Youngblood Proper Disposal
Dawn Aprile & Company
Jeff & Patrice Pierce
Re/Max Realty Group
Sign and Lighting Services
SVN Realty Performance Advisors
Sandy & Courtney Williams
Aloi Materials Handling
Rochester Home Builders Association
Friends of the Event
Cathy Kaman Ryan
Welch & O’Donoghue
Park Ave. Bike Shop
Dripping in Gems
A Ski Company
Iron Smoke Whiskey
Newsletters & Press
- 2018 Spring/Summer Newsletter
- 2017 Annual Report
- 2017 Fall/Winter Newsletter
- 2017 Spring/Summer Newsletter
- 2016 Annual Report
- 2016 Fall Newsletter
- 2016 Spring Newsletter
- 2015 Annual Report
- 2015 Fall Newsletter
- 2015 Spring Newsletter
Foodlink’s monthly e-newsletter
Get email updates about the latest Foodlink news, including events, fundraisers and ways you can help make a difference.
In the news …
- (9/17, News 8) Foodlink hosts 15th annual ‘Festival of Food’
- (9/17, 13 WHAM) Festival of Food draws hundreds in fundraiser for Foodlink
- (9/13, D&C) Celebrate autumn at these wine and food events around Rochester and the Finger Lakes
- (9/14, RBJ) Honorees set for 24th Forty under 40 awards
- (9/13, WHEC 10) Local food swamps threaten public health
- (9/11, News 8) Festival of Food fights hunger
- (9/9, WHEC 10) Rochester in Focus: Festival of Food
- (8/31, News 8) Store closures leave some Tops shoppers with few other options
- (8/30, Fox Rochester) Fill the Bus campaign continues through Tuesday
- (8/17, Fox Rochester) Foodlink’s Fill the Bus campaign set to kick off
- (8/13, Fox Rochester) Good Day Rochester: Rochester’s top food trucks face off
- (8/12, WHEC 10) Rochester in Focus
- (7/24) Livingston Co. News) Festival of Food supports Foodlink programs
- (7/19, WXXI) Connections: Summer of Food – Discussing the middle skills gap in the food industry
- (7/18, WXXI) Urban farming cultivates sense of ownership over food
- (7/13, Monroe Post) Festival of Food supports Foodlink programs
- (7/10, Livingston Co. News) Curbside Market to make weekly visits in 3 Livingston County communities
Recent Press Releases / Media alerts (date sent to media)
- (9/20) COO Terra Keller named to RBJ’s Forty Under 40 list
- (9/13) Foodlink marks Hunger Action Month, celebrates 40 years of ‘social innovation’
- (8/17) Fill the Bus campaign underway at Wegmans
- (7/13) Festival of Food tickets on sale now
- (5/19) ‘Spring into Summer’ Festival attracts hundreds to learn more about free Summer Meals
- (5/8) Foodlink celebrates ‘Seed Grant’ winners
- (5/4) Foodlink joins Partnership for a Healthier America
- (3/19) Foodlink to host panel discussion about moving beyond charity to solve food insecurity
- (3/5) National Nutrition Month underway
- (2/28) Finger Lakes ‘FEAST’ coming to Geneva
- (2/15) Bristol Mountain hosts 6th annual Forks and Skis charity event
- (2/6) Foodlink, local nonprofits gear up for Three Heads’ Be Kind Festival
- (1/26) Tops, others host Check Out Hunger campaign for Foodlink