News & Events
Events & Fundraisers
Our dedicated staff, with the help of loyal volunteers, hosts events throughout the year. Each event is unique and engaging – thank you to all who participate!
Hosting an Event or Fundraiser
To get started, please download the Event/Food Drive Application. Filling out the form is mandatory for all food drives, even if you have hosted one before.
Upcoming Events and Fundraisers:
Spring into Summer: Summer Meals Fest 2019
Join us once again for a day of fun — rain or shine — at the annual Summer Meals Fest June 8 at Frontier Field! Parents can learn about numerous youth programs in the City of Rochester, and children can sample menu items from the Summer Meals program.
There will be a WDKX Dance Party, arts and crafts stations, Rec on the Move activities, and much, much more. Thank you to the Summer Meals Partnership of Rochester for organizing this event to educate families about the summer meals program! Hope to see you there!
FACEBOOK: Check out the event page!
Red Tail Ridge Winery: Good Karma
Red Tail Ridge Winery is proud to support Foodlink by doing what they do best, making wine. Ten percent of the profits from their Good Karma wine goes to Foodlink.
In November of 2018, the winery announced that more than $34,600 has been donated since the fundraiser began!
For more information on the wine, the winery and where to purchase Good Karma, click here.
If Music Be the Food
“If Music Be the Food…” is a series of benefit concerts that raise awareness and support for the hungry in the local community through the sharing of great music. Founded by Carol Rodland in 2009 — and now led by Eastman School of Music faculty member Mimi Hwang — its mission also includes teaching music students about the importance of community service via their art. Each concert is a fully grass-roots community event involving professionals, students, and local volunteers in joyful collaboration.
Learn more about upcoming concerts on the IMBTF website.
Can’t make it to a concert? You can pledge your support and donate to Foodlink through its secure, online donation page. Be sure to write “IMBTF” in the Notes field when making your donation!
Festival of Food
The 2018 Festival of Food is Sept. 17, 2018!
Festival of Food, Foodlink’s annual fundraiser, features more than 100 local restaurants, wineries, breweries, bakeries and specialty food purveyors. It’s the best and biggest food and drink tasting event in the region! Join us Monday, Sept. 17 between 6 and 9 p.m. at the City of Rochester Public Market to celebrate the best food and drink that the Rochester area has to offer.
VIP tickets include: A designated, VIP parking area, a pre-event happy hour at 5 p.m. with a complimentary drink courtesy of Cure; and early entry to the festival at 5:30 p.m. (skip the lines!).
On the day of the event, $60 tickets will be available at the door.
2017 PHOTOS: Facebook album from the event
Our Festival of Food map is out! Find out where your favorite vendor will be on the 17th!.
Here is a full list of vendors, categorized:
Dolci Pastries and Confections
Donna Marie’s Gluten Free Bakery
Eat Me Ice Cream
Get Caked Bakery
Hedonist Artisan Chocolates
Jon John’s Bakery
Julep Bake Shop
Kiss Me Cookie
Sweet and Cute Sweets
Taste of Supreme
East Coast Toast
Happy Earth Tea
Joe Bean Coffee Roasters
Red Jacket Orchards
Cooking and Eating Healthy with Phil
Gray Ghost Gourmet
Headwater/Good Food Collective
Hettie’s Delites Café
James Browns Place
Jetty at The Port
Market at M/body
Meals By DeLeo
Napa Woodfired Pizza
Ox and Stone
The Daily Refresher
Watermark Retirement Communities
Wegmans Burger Bar
Wegmans Next Door
Wegmans Pittsford Innovation Poke
Wegmans The Pub
Cosimano + Ferrari Olive Oil Co.
Evoke Healthy Foods
F. Olivers Oils & Vinegar
Fare Game Food Co
Florida Nut House
Mountain Rise Organics
Once Again Nut Butter
A Gust of Sun Winery
Black Button Distillery
CB Craft Brewers
Deer Run Winery
Embark Craft Ciderworks
Fifth Frame Brewing Co
Genesee Brew House
Heron Hill Winery
Honeoye Falls Distillery
Iron Smoke Distillery
JD Wine Cellars
Knucklehead Craft Brewing
Living Roots Wine & Co
Naked Dove Brewing
OSB Ciderworks/ Stumpblower
Red Tail Ridge Winery
Roc Brewing Co.
Roc House Brands (lidestri)
Rohrbach Brewing Company
Three Brothers Wineries
Three Heads Brewing
We’d like to thank Wegmans Food Markets once again for serving as our lead (Main Course) sponsor for the Festival of Food. If you’d like to learn more about sponsorship opportunities — or any other festival details — contact:
Jeffrey Fleming, Events & Marketing Coordinator
firstname.lastname@example.org or 585-413-4072
Thank you to our 2018 sponsors!
Food Truck Face Off
We once again partnered with 13 WHAM for the Food Truck Face Off — a contest to determine Rochester’s best food truck!
The public nominated and voted for their favorite Rochester food truck between July 12 and Aug. 29! Those who nominated OR voted for a truck were automatically entered to win 2 FREE Festival of Food tickets!
This year’s contest had 1,343 partcipants casting a total of 2,478 votes for 29 different food trucks. And the winner was …
Congrats to Rob’s Kabob’s!
Rob’s garnered 599 votes to take home the top prize. Twist This LLC (511), Rustic Taco (430), Chef’s Catering (307) and Meat the Press (114) rounded out the top 5. Thanks to all who participated, especially our two Festival of Food ticket winners, Erica Marciano of Spencerport, and Amanda Frisch of Webster!
Hunger Action Month
September is Hunger Action Month (H.A.M.), which is the Feeding America® network’s annual awareness campaign designed to mobilize the public to take action on the issue of hunger. The campaign brings attention to the reality of food insecurity in the United States and promotes ways for individuals to get involved in the movement to help end hunger. Food insecurity affects more than 41 million Americans in every corner of our nation — and more than 147,000 people (1 out of every 8) in Foodlink’s 10-county service area. This month, we raise our voice to ensure that no child, adult or senior goes to sleep on an empty stomach.
Events are planned throughout the month to raise awareness about our effort to build a healthy, hunger-free community. A great resource to learn about ways YOU can get involved is available below with our annual Hunger Action Month calendar. Download, print it, read it … take action!
Other ways to get involved!
- Volunteer. Donate. Advocate: There are many ways you can help Foodlink better serve our neighbors in need:
- Hunger Action Day: Orange is the color of hunger (the first food stamps were orange). On Sept. 13, wear orange to show your support and raise awareness!
- Social Media: Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram. Tag #hungeractionmonth and mention @foodlinkny to show us how you’re taking action in September!
- Fill the Bus: Our annual campaign and food drive that supports our BackPack Program started early this year! However there’s still time to buy a bag of food at Wegmans during Labor Day weekend!
- Festival of Food: Our annual fundraiser is Sept. 17 at the City of Rochester Public Market (6-9 p.m.). More than 100 restaurants, wineries, breweries and more will offer samples of the best food and drink from the Rochester/Finger Lakes region. Proceeds benefit Foodlink. | Purchase tickets
- Listen! Interested in the topic of hunger and food insecurity? Check out our list of podcasts and other links that may inspire you to take action!
- Watch a film! Check out our list of movies about the subject of hunger. Set aside some time to sit down and watch one during Hunger Action Month!
- Take our quiz! How much do you know about Foodlink and the scope of what we do? Take this 10-question exam to see how you do!
Hunger Action Month is about action. Donate. Volunteer. Advocate. Do what you can to help end hunger is our community!
More resources are available at hungeractionmonth.org.
Fill the Bus
Thank you, Rochester!!!
During our 2018 Fill the Bus campaign at Wegmans, we were able to collect 286,311 pounds of food for our BackPack Program!!!
Foodlink, Wegmans, Fidelis Care, and our media sponsors at 13WHAM ABC, WUHF Fox Rochester, and CW Rochester teamed up again for the “Fill the Bus” food drive to benefit Foodlink’s BackPack program, which alleviates child hunger on weekends and school breaks. Each Friday or before a holiday, a child who is at risk of food insecurity is given a bag in their backpack filled with enough healthy, kid-friendly meals to last all weekend. Children who are properly nourished are more attentive in class, can concentrate better on exams, and have a better chance of graduating.
Foodlink operates the BackPack program at more than 80 area schools, and reached more than 3,000 children during the 2017-18 school year.
The Rochester community has responded graciously to this annual campaign, and each year, donations have increased. Since 2013, approximately 1.2 million pounds of food have been collected for the BackPack Program!
Year ………. Pounds
2013 ………. 50,410
2014 ………. 138,637
2015 ………. 197,852
2016 ………. 247,883
2017 ………. 305,073
2018 ………. 286,311
Total ………. 1,226,166
Shoppers during the Aug. 18-Sept. 4 campaign visited their local Wegmans stores and donate suggested items for the BackPack program at checkout. Each store had wishlists posted, as well as suggested items for sale. Shoppers also could purchase bags ranging from $5 to $20 filled with the most-needed items. All donations stay in the Rochester and Finger Lakes region.
Other important info:
- 1 in 5 children in our area are considered food insecure – which essentially means they do not know where their next meal is coming from.
- Suggested items included healthy, kid-friendly food such as: healthy cereal, oatmeal cups, applesauce cups, granola bars, macaroni and cheese, juice boxes (100% fruit), boxed raisins, peanut butter, canned tuna or chicken, canned fruit and vegetables (pop-tops preferred)
- Learn more about ways to support the BackPack program.
Check Out Hunger
Check Out Hunger is a point-of-sale campaign at local partnering grocers — held twice annually at participating stores. Every time you are grocery shopping, say ‘YES’ when your cashier asks if you would like to Check Out Hunger! The money raised from this campaign directly supports Foodlink programs that help end hunger and build healthier communities.
Wegmans Food Markets holds its Check Out Hunger campaign each fall, and the dollars raised through the generous support of shoppers goes a long way toward helping Foodlink operate numerous anti-hunger programs.
This year’s campaign ran from October 28 through December 1, and collected $684,797.49! That’s well ahead of last year’s total! Thank you, Wegmans and all of their shoppers, who contributed to this year’s campaign!
Check Out Hunger is a point-of-sale campaign, and Wegmans cashiers ask shoppers if they would like to donate $2, $3 or $5 to Foodlink. Shoppers can also choose to round up their grocery bill, or donate whatever amount they choose.
Funding from Check Out Hunger enables Foodlink to distribute over 18 million pounds of food each year to its local network of hundreds of human service organizations throughout our 10-county service area. These community partners include soup kitchens, shelters, and food pantries that are working on the front lines of hunger every day.
Tops Friendly Markets and other local grocers hold a Check Out Hunger campaign with Foodlink and other regional food banks every winter.
The 2019 campaign ran from from Jan. 27 to Feb. 16 and collected more than $68,000 ($67,755 from Tops & $936 from Gates Big M). Thank you to all of the shoppers who contributed to this year’s campaign!
More than 150 Tops markets across New York, Pennsylvania and Vermont participate in Check Out Hunger, which has raised nearly $4 million since 2006. Foodlink and eight other food banks benefit from the campaign.
Food for Families
We’re excited to once again partner with Tops Friendly Markets, WROC-TV, Citizens Bank & WCMF Radio for the annual Food for Families campaign this year!
The main Food for Families event is scheduled for Dec. 7, 2018.
Last year, we were able to collect more than 143,000 pounds of food to help our neighbors in need. That was more than double our 2016 total! The event also raised more than $11,000.
The campaign features “Little Brown Bags of Hope,” which are available for purchase at Tops locations starting on Nov. 18, and lasting through Dec. 15. Shoppers have the option of purchasing a LBBOH for $5, $10 or $20 at the register when they check out, or donate any food or money they wish.
On Dec. 7, Tops will host an all-day celebration that will be broadcast live by WROC-TV and on WCMF Radio at two Tops locations in Greece (3507 Mt. Read Blvd.) and Henrietta (1225 Jefferson Road).
Thank you to everyone who has stopped by in the past to support our efforts. We hope to see you again this year!
Forks & Skis
SAVE THE DATE: Our 2019 event will be on Friday, March 1!
Forks and Skis, presented by Delta Air Lines, is an annual event for anyone interested in hitting the slopes while helping Foodlink fulfill its mission of ending hunger and building healthier communities. In six years, the event has raised more than $130,000!
The event, which will be held at Hunt Hollow Ski Club in Naples this year, begins at noon and lasts through 6:30 p.m. In addition to a day of skiing, there will be lunch, Après Ski, live musical entertainment and multiple raffle items! Thank you to Delta Air Lines, Key Bank and Harris Beach for supporting this great event!
PURCHASE TICKETS: Join the fun and reserve your spot today!
The event was previously named the Muxy Ski-Off in honor of the late Gary Muxworthy, a sports enthusiast who devoted much of his life to raising money for charities through exciting sporting events.
Please check out the Forks & Skis Facebook page with a gallery of photos from past events.
For further information about the event and sponsorship opportunities, contact:
Jeffrey Fleming, Events & Marketing Coordinator
email@example.com or 585-413-4072
Non-sponsorship ticket prices:
$100 – Skier (if you DON’T already own a Hunt Hollow pass)
$50 – Skier (if you DO already own a Hunt Hollow pass)
$50 – Non-skier
- Lift Pass at Hunt Hollow Ski Club
- Admission in to the NASTAR Open Timing Race (optional)
- ‘Dash for Cash’ (top 8 Mens and Women from the Open Timing Race are eligible)
- One free drink at our Apres Ski party! The Apres Ski party will feature a cash bar, awards presentation for the ‘Dash for Cash’, and live entertainment.
Thank you to our growing list of 2019 Sponsors!
Head of the Class sponsors
Flaum Management Company, Inc.
Five Star Improvements, Inc.
I. Gordon Corporation
Donovan Real Estate Services
Jeff & Raeleen Balta
The Bonadio Group
FL Gorman, Esq.
Woods Oviatt Gilman LLP
The Ribeiro Companies/Dunkin’
Graham Plastic Surgery
Dawn Aprile Company
Sign & Lighting Services, LLC
Peter K. Skivington
AXA Advisors, LLC
Eagle Dream Technologies
Venture Brokerage Group
LGM Studio, Inc.
Visron Technical, LLC
Jeffrey & Patrice Pierce
Dripping in Gems
Whaleback Preserve Club
Asia Food Market
FULL SEND SKI & OUTDOOR
Foot Performance Center, Inc.
the Ski Company
New York Beer Project
Three Heads Brewing
The Get Together
SAVE THE DATE!
The Get Together, Foodlink’s inaugural spring event, will be held Saturday, May 18!
Join us on the lawn at Foodlink (1999 Mt. Read Blvd., Rochester) May 18 at 6 p.m. There’s a seat at the table just for you!
Something amazing happens when we come together over great food. We don’t just eat — we tell stories, exchange ideas, grow closer, and create lasting memories. This inaugural event will be an unforgettable evening complete with a strolling cocktail tour of our facility, an exquisite meal, and live entertainment.
Tickets: $150: Purchase here (SOLD OUT)
All proceeds will go toward Foodlink’s programs and initiatives to end hunger and build healthier communities.
Attire: Spring Cocktail
Dress for a semi-formal, indoor-outdoor gathering. Dark jeans are appropriate; floral patterns encouraged.
40 Years. 40 Stories.
For four decades and counting, we’ve been creating a more nourished, prosperous region with the help of our volunteers, partners, donors, and supporters. It’s the perfect time to get together and celebrate our shared success — because we wouldn’t be here without you! We’ll be showcasing 40 stories that demonstrate the impact Foodlink has had on our region.
Sponsorship & Table Opportunities
To support our mission and help make The Get Together a success, contact Jeffrey Fleming at firstname.lastname@example.org or 585.413.4072.
Thank you to Constellation Brands for serving as the title sponsor of this inaugural event!
Our other generous sponsors include:
Questions? Contact Jeffrey Fleming at email@example.com or 585.413.4072.
Newsletters & Press
- 2018 Annual Report
- 2018 Hunger Action Month calendar
- 2018 Spring/Summer Newsletter
- 2017 Annual Report
- 2017 Fall/Winter Newsletter
- 2017 Spring/Summer Newsletter
- 2016 Annual Report
- 2016 Fall Newsletter
- 2016 Spring Newsletter
Foodlink’s monthly e-newsletter
Get email updates about the latest Foodlink news, including events, fundraisers and ways you can help make a difference.
In the news …
- (5/10, Spectrum News) Celebrating National Nurses Week with more giving
- (5/9, 13WHAM) Public Market’s new Nutrition Education Center opens
- (5/9, WHEC 10) More than 5K volunteers take part in United Way’s Day of Caring
- (5/7, News 8) UR nurses volunteer at Foodlink for ‘Nurses Appreciation Week’
- (4/25, WHEC 10) Grocery delivery service will soon accept food stamps
- (4/12, FLX Times) Rural Urban Dinner raising money to eliminate hunger
- (4/10, 13 WHAM) Kids at Boys & Girls Club learn from Foodlink
- (3/27, Fox Rochester) Foodlink celebrates urban agriculture
- (3/24, Rome Sentinel) Rotary clubs pack meals for food banks
- (3/20, Fox Rochester) National Nutrition Month: Finger Lakes Eat Smart NY
- (3/14, Fox Rochester) ‘Just Say Yes’ promotes benefits of fruits & vegetables
- (3/7, News 8) Scouting For Food to help Foodlink
- (3/6, Fox Rochester) Foodlink marks National Nutrition Month
- (3/6, WHEC 10) Rochester in Focus: March 10
- (2/19, News 8) Folks struggling after SNAP early release pack Foodlink drive
- (2/19, News 8) Ski a private mountain, support Foodlink
- (2/18, Spectrum) With SNAP Aid Low, Foodlink Helps Local Families
- (2/14, WHEC 10) Dunkin’ & Joy in Childhood Foundation present $10K grant to Foodlink
- (2/14, News 8) Dunkin’ Donuts presents $10K grant to Foodlink
Recent Press Releases / Media alerts (date sent to media)
- (5/16) Foodlink’s new spring fundraiser set for Saturday
- (4/21) Walmart, Feeding America launch 6th ‘Fight Hunger. Spark Change’ campaign
- (2/28) Foodlink’s educators ready to celebrate National Nutrition Month
- (2/15) Foodlink announces additional food distributions to address ‘SNAP Gap’ in Rochester region
- (2/8) Forks & Skis tickets on sale now
- (1/25) Check Out Hunger begins at Tops to support Foodlink
- (1/22) Shutdown causing uncertainty, angst among Rochester’s food-insecure residents
- (12/19) Foodlink commemorates 40 years of service
- (12/14) Foodlink receives $20K donation from the Enterprise Rent-A-Car Foundation
- (11/9) Rosa’s Thanksgiving Dinner returns Monday
- (10/29) Check Out Hunger underway at Wegmans
- (10/17) Foodlink Career Fellowship’s inaugural class ‘moving up’
- (10/9) Curbside Market awarded $481K grant from the USDA