News & Events
Events & Fundraisers
Our dedicated staff, with the help of loyal volunteers, hosts events throughout the year. Each event is unique and engaging – thank you to all who participate!
Hosting an Event or Fundraiser
For more information, contact Juliana Stefani (585) 413-4077
Upcoming Events and Fundraisers:
Red Tail Ridge Winery: Good Karma
Red Tail Ridge Winery is proud to support Foodlink by doing what they do best, making wine. Ten percent of the profits from their Good Karma wine goes to Foodlink.
In late October, the winery announced that more than $25,800 has been donated since the fundraiser began!
For more information on the wine, the winery and where to purchase Good Karma, click here.
Festival of Food
SAVE THE DATE! Sept. 18, 2017
Festival of Food, Foodlink’s annual fundraiser, features more than 100 local restaurants, wineries, breweries, bakeries and specialty food purveyors. It’s the best and biggest food and drink tasting event in the region!
VENDORS: Application and information
Join us Monday, Sept. 18 between 6 and 9 p.m. at the City of Rochester Public Market for Foodlink’s annual fundraiser and celebrate the best food and drink that the Rochester area has to offer.
TICKETS ON SALE NOW: Purchase online
General admission – $50
NEW THIS YEAR!! The VIP experience ($75) includes a pre-event happy hour at Cure with a complimentary drink and light hors d’oeuvres. Early entrance to the festival is also included, which means no waiting in line! Purchase your VIP ticket for all this and more!
Thank you to last year’s sponsors!
Wegmans (Lead sponsor)
Big Apple Deli Products
The Bonadio Group
Conway Beam Leasing
Animal Hospital of Pittsford
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church
Hunger Action Month
September is Hunger Action Month (H.A.M.), which is the Feeding America® network’s annual awareness campaign designed to mobilize the public to take action on the issue of hunger. The campaign brings attention to the reality of food insecurity in the United States and promotes ways for individuals to get involved in the movement to help end hunger. Food insecurity affects more than 48 million Americans and 1 in 8 people in Foodlink’s 10-county service area. We need to make sure that no child, adult or senior goes to sleep on an empty stomach.
Events are planned throughout the month to raise awareness about our effort to build a healthy, hunger-free community.
- 30 Ways in 30 Days Calendar: Foodlink’s call-to-action calendar is a great resource on how you can do something about hunger all month long. Check out the calendar below, or print yourself a copy: Full color version | Printer-friendly black & white version
- Volunteer. Donate. Advocate: There are many ways you can help Foodlink better serve our neighbors in need:
- Government Proclamations: City Hall and the NYS Senate & Assembly have designated September as Hunger Action Month. The Monroe, Orleans, Wyoming and Allegany county governments have issued proclamations as well!
- Lighting of the Library: The Rundell Library in Downtown Rochester will ‘go orange’ for Foodlink by displaying orange lighting for the first half of September.
- Take our quiz : Do you know how serious the issue of hunger is in the Rochester and Finger Lakes region? Take a quick quiz to test your knowledge.
- Hunger Action Day: Orange is the color of hunger (the first food stamps were orange). On Sept. 8, wear orange to show your support and raise awareness.
- “On an empty stomach …”: The theme for this year’s Hunger Action Month is that Americans who suffer from hunger cannot reach their full potential. YOU can bring awareness to this devastating feeling by participating in a quick exercise on social media. | Print me out, share with the world
- Social Media: Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram. Change your Facebook and Twitter profile and cover pics to orange. Then post pictures online and tag #hungeractionmonth and mention @foodlinkny.
- Festival of Food: The annual tasting event is Sept. 19. More than 100 restaurants, wineries and breweries will offer samples of the best food and drink from the Rochester/Finger Lakes region. Proceeds benefit Foodlink.
- Fill the Bus: Our annual campaign to urge the public to donate food for our BackPack Program, which we coordinate with 13WHAM, Fox Rochester, the CW and Wegmans, runs Sept. 9-24. Look out for details soon regarding a kickoff event on the 9th!
Hunger Action Month is about action. Donate. Volunteer. Advocate. Do what you can to help end hunger is this community.
More resources are available at hungeractionmonth.org.
Fill the Bus
FINAL TOTALS: Thank you, Wegmans shoppers for making this the best Fill the Bus campaign ever!
We received 247,883 pounds of food this month for our BackPack Program! That equates to enough food to fill up about 50,000 bags for children in need.
We collected 50,000 more pounds than last year and went well beyond our goal of 200,000 pounds. Until next year!
Fill the bus and help fill the bellies of hungry children in the Rochester region.
Wegmans, Foodlink, 13WHAM ABC, Fox Rochester, and CW Rochester team up once again for a two-week food drive, “Fill the Bus,” to benefit Foodlink’s BackPack program, which alleviates child hunger on weekends and school breaks.
Our 2016 Fill the Bus campaign runs from Sept. 9-24.
Shoppers can visit their local Wegmans stores and donate suggested items for the BackPack program. Each store has wishlists posted as well as suggested items for sale. Shoppers also could purchase bags ranging from $5 to $20 filled with the most-needed items. All donations stay in the Rochester and Finger Lakes region.
Foodlink operates the BackPack program at more than 80 area schools, and reached more than 4,000 children during the 2015-16 school year. Each Friday or before a holiday, a child is given a bag in their backpack filled with enough healthy, kid-friendly meals to last all weekend. The hope is by alleviating child hunger, these children can be focused on school and success.
In its first two years, the Fill the Bus food drive brought in more than 189,000 pounds of food. Thanks to Wegmans, 13 WHAM News and amazing participation by the community in Year 3, we raised 197,852 pounds of food! Our goal this year is to exceed 200,000 pounds!
Join us to “Fill the Bus” and help children in the Rochester area.
Other important info:
- 1 in 5 children in our area are considered food insecure – which basically means they do not know where their next meal is coming from.
- Suggested items included healthy, kid-friendly food such as: healthy cereal, oatmeal cups, applesauce cups, granola bars, macaroni and cheese, juice boxes (100% fruit), boxed raisins, peanut butter, canned tuna or chicken, canned fruit and vegetables (pop-tops preferred)
Check Out Hunger
Check Out Hunger is a point-of-sale campaign at local partnering grocers. Donation slips for $2, $3, and $5 are placed at all registers. Every time you are grocery shopping, say ‘YES’ when your cashier asks if you would like to Check Out Hunger! The money raised from this campaign directly supports programs that help end hunger and build a healthier community.
Our latest Check Out Hunger campaign was with Tops Friendly Markets and several other local grocers and ran from Jan. 29 through Feb. 18. Check back soon to see the final tally!
Tops Friendly Markets – 30+ Rochester-area stores
Abundance Cooperative Market, 62 Marshall St., Rochester
Breen’s Market – 611 E Main St., Palmyra
Breen’s Shop’n Save, 4090 Pearsall St., Williamson
Caledonia Marketplace – 3136 Main St., Caledonia
Gates Big M,1520 Spencerport Road, Rochester
Hegedorn’s Market – 964 Ridge Road, Webster
Herrema’s Food Market – 125 Pattonwood Dr., Rochester
Lori’s Natural Foods – 900 Jefferson Road, Rochester
Mullers Cider House – 1344 University Ave., Rochester
Perry Food Market – 121 N Center St., Perry
West’s Shurfine Food Market – 8565 Main St., Honeoye
West’s Shurfine – 1 Main St., Livonia
Don’t forget to Check Out Hunger during your next shopping trip and thank you for supporting Foodlink!
Last Wegmans campaign:
In October and November, we had another successful campaign thanks to Wegmans Food Markets and raised $680,816.62. Thank you Wegmans shoppers!
Food for Families
FINAL TOTALS: We surpassed last year’s total! Together, we raised 61,122 POUNDS of food at our 2016 event! We also raised more than $12,000.
Thank you to all who donated!
Food for Families is one of the largest food and funds drives for Foodlink, and a collaboration with Tops Friendly Markets and WROC-TV.
We celebrated the 10th annual event on Dec. 9, 2016!
WROC-TV reported live throughout the day, with a heavy presence at the Greece location (3507 Mt. Read Blvd.), as Tops shoppers made donations or dropped off “Little Brown Bags of Hope” filled with food. Other stores in Henrietta (1225 Jefferson Road), Irondequoit (999 East Ridge Road) and Penfield (1601 Penfield Road) also featured Foodlink staff members or representatives from some of our partner agencies promoting the event and our mission to end hunger. There were great holiday gift ideas at the Food For Families eBay auction AND News 8’s Thad Brown and Stacey Pensgen squared off in the Anchor Challenge to see who could raise the most funds through Foodlink’s online donation page. Stacey won by the slimmest of margins!
Thank you to everyone who has stopped by in the past to support our efforts to end hunger and leverage the power of food to build a healthier community. We hope to see you again for another great year in 2017.
Forks & Skis
Forks and Skis is a ski event at Bristol Mountain open to the public for those interested in hitting the slopes while helping Foodlink fulfill its mission of a healthy, hunger-free community. In five years, the event has raised more than $100,000!
The event was previously named the Muxy Ski-Off in honor of the late Gary Muxworthy, a sports enthusiast who devoted much of his life to raising money for charities through exciting sporting events.
Please check out the Forks & Skis Facebook page with a gallery of photos from the past events. Sponsorships are available by contacting Juliana Stefani (585-413-4077, email@example.com) and visiting our secure online donation page and choosing “Forks & Skis” from the dropdown menu.
- Bristol Mountain Lift Pass
- Lunch in the Bristol Mountain Ski Lodge
- Admission in to the NASTAR Open Timing Race (optional)
- ‘Dash for Cash’ (top 8 Mens and Women from the Open Timing Race are eligible)
- One free drink at our Apres Ski party! The Apres Ski party will feature a cash bar, awards presentation for the ‘Dash for Cash’, and music by the WillBillys!
Thank you to our 2017 Sponsors …
Head of the class
Gallina Development Corp.
Rainaldi Brothers Inc.
PICS Telecom and Sandstone Technologies
Royal Oak Realty Trust
Leo J Roth
Donovan Real Estate Services
Aprile Ventures, LLC
Sign and Lighting Services LLC
Jeff & Patrice Pierce
Hunt Real Estate
Sandy & Courtney Williams
RE/Max Realty Group
Aloi Materials Handling
Wayne Cooperative Insurance Company
Jackie Hopkinson (Woodbury Management)
Whaleback Preserve Club
The Men’s Room
Iron Smoke Whiskey
Park Ave. Bike Shop
Newsletters & Press
- 2016 Annual Report
- 2016 Fall Newsletter
- 2016 Spring Newsletter
- 2015 Annual Report
- 2015 Fall Newsletter
- 2015 Spring Newsletter
- 2014 Annual Report
Foodlink’s monthly e-newsletter
Get email updates about the latest Foodlink news, including events, fundraisers and ways you can help make a difference.
In the news …
- (6/15, WXXI) SNAP Collaborative back for its second year
- (6/15, News 8) Local farmers markets participate in SNAP Collaborative for second year
- (6/14, 13 WHAM) First look inside new $4.9M Foodlink Kitchen
- (6/14, News 8) Foodlink Kitchen ready to help reduce hunger, poverty in the region
- (6/14, WXXI) Foodlink celebrates new state-of-the-art kitchen
- (6/14, RBJ) Foodlink Kitchen ready to serve Rochester schools
- (6/12, WXXI) State legislation aims to curb food waste
- (6/10, 13 WHAM) Students get an early ‘taste’ of summer
- (6/7, News 8) Bill providing tax breaks for grocers aims to cut down on food waste
- (6/3, D&C) Speaking Out essay: SNAP needed in fight against hunger
- (5/20, WHEC) Sculptures of canned food go on display
- (5/15, Fox Rochester) Canstruction moves to new site for 10th year
- (5/6, WXXI) ‘Food insecurity’ numbers show mixed news for Rochester area
- (5/5, The Batavian) More than 6,600 people in Genesee County considered food insecure
Recent Press Releases / Media alerts (date sent to media)
- (6/14) Foodlink, officials celebrate new kitchen
- (6/10) Summer Meals Fest takes over Frontier Field
- (5/19) Canstruction Rochester begins this weekend
- (5/5) Report: Food insecurity rate remains flat in Rochester area
- (2/28) Foodlink embraces National Nutrition Month
- (2/6) Tickets on sale for Forks & Skis fundraiser
- (1/26) Check Out Hunger campaign returns this weekend
- (1/19) Foodlink brings nutrition education to the barbershop