News & Events
Events & Fundraisers
Our dedicated staff, with the help of loyal volunteers, hosts events throughout the year. Each event is unique and engaging – thank you to all who participate!
Hosting an Event or Fundraiser
For more information, contact Juliana Stefani (585) 413-4077
Upcoming Events and Fundraisers:
DUNKIN’ DONUTS ICED COFFEE DAY
If you’re an Iced Coffee fan, don’t forget to stop by Dunkin’ Donuts on May 25 (maybe even more than once if you’re feeling generous) to help out Foodlink!
Dunkin’ Donuts donates $1 for each Iced Coffee sold at participating stores for the annual fundraiser. Money raised will help Foodlink’s mission of ending hunger and leveraging the power of food to build a healthier community.
DOLLAR TREE FOOD DRIVE
May 13 - June 18
When you visit your local Dollar Tree, look out for the Feeding America food drive bins and help solve hunger! To support the month-long initiative purchase a food item and drop it in the bin. A Feeding America food bank (Foodlink is responsible for a 10-county region in the Finger Lakes and western New York) will collect and distribute these items to serve those in need.
To find a store near you or learn more about the initiative, visit the Dollar Tree’s website.
Red Tail Ridge Winery: Good Karma
Red Tail Ridge Winery is proud to support Foodlink by doing what they do best, making wine. 10% of the profits from their Good Karma wine goes to Foodlink. For more information on the wine, the winery and where to purchase Good Karma click here.
Festival of Food
SAVE THE DATE: September 19, 2016
Festival of Food features over 100 local restaurants, wineries, breweries, bakeries and farms sampling the best food and drink in the region. It’s the best and biggest food and drink tasting event in the region!
Excellus BlueCross BlueShield
Santiago Burger LLP
The Bonadio Group
Big Apple Deli Products
Conway Beam Leasing
DeCarolis Truck Rental
Monroe Veterinary Associates
Finger Lakes Health Systems Agency
City Dining Cards
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church
City of Rochester
McCarthy Tents and Events
Hunger Action Month
September is Hunger Action Month (HAM). HAM is the Feeding America® network’s nationwide awareness campaign designed to mobilize the public to take action on the issue of hunger. The campaign brings attention to the reality of food insecurity in the United States and promotes ways for individuals to get involved in the movement to help end hunger. Events are planned throughout the month to raise awareness about the effort to build a healthy, hunger-free community.
- 30 Ways in 30 Days Calendar: A call to action calendar about hunger is a great resource on how you can do something about hunger all month long. Be on the lookout for the 2016 September calendar later this year. Here’s a look back at last year’s:
- Government Proclamation: City Hall and the NYS Assembly have designated September as Hunger Action Month.
- Lighting of the Library: The Rundell Library in Downtown Rochester will ‘go orange’ for Foodlink by displaying orange lighting throughout the month of September.
- Hunger Action Day: Orange is the color of hunger (the first food stamps were orange). On September 3rd, wear orange to show your support and raise awareness. Change your Facebook and Twitter profile and cover pics to orange. Then post pictures online and tag #hungeraction.
- Social Media: Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram
- Spoontember: This online initiative lasts all month long, supporters can share a ‘spoon selfie’ and challenge friends to do the same. Include a hunger fact, too, to raise awareness! Don’t forget to tag @foodlinkny and use #spoontember
- Festival of Food: The annual tasting event is in September (more information will be available as we get closer!). More than 100 restaurants, wineries and breweries will offer samples of the best food and drink from the Rochester/Finger Lakes region. Proceeds benefit Foodlink.
Hunger Action Month is about action. Donate. Volunteer. Advocate. Do what you can to help end hunger is this community.
More resources are available at hungeractionmonth.org.
Fill the Bus
Fill the bus and help fill the bellies of hungry children in the Rochester region.
Wegmans, Foodlink, 13WHAM, Fox Rochester, and the CW teamed up for a two-week food drive, “Fill the Bus” to benefit Foodlink’s BackPack program, which alleviates child hunger on weekends and school breaks. Shoppers visited their local Wegmans stores from Sept. 13-26 and donated suggested items for the BackPack program. Each store had wish lists posted as well as suggested items for sale. Shoppers also could purchase $5 or $10 bags filled with the most-needed items. All donations stayed in the Rochester and Finger Lakes region.
Foodlink operates the BackPack program at more than 60 area schools, reaching more than 2,000 children each week. Each Friday or before a holiday, a child is given a bag in their backpack filled with enough healthy, kid-friendly meals to last all weekend. The hope is by alleviating child hunger, these children can be focused on school and success.
In its first two years, the Fill the Bus food drive has brought in more than 189,000 pounds of food. The goal for the third year was 160,000 pounds of food — enough to fill 40,000 bags of food for the children. (An average bag weighs 4 lbs). Thanks to Wegmans, 13WHAM and amazing participation by the community, 197,852 pounds of food was donated to our program. Thanks to all who donated!
Other important info:
- 1 in 5 children in our area are considered food insecure – which basically means they do not know where their next meal is coming from.
- Suggested items included healthy, kid-friendly food such as: healthy cereal, oatmeal cups, applesauce cups, granola bars, macaroni and cheese, juice boxes (100% fruit), boxed raisins, peanut butter, canned tuna or chicken, canned fruit and vegetables (pop-tops preferred)
Check Out Hunger
Check Out Hunger is a point-of-sale campaign at local partnering grocers. Coupons for $2, $3, and $5 are placed at all registers. Every time you are grocery shopping, say ‘YES’ when your cashier asks if you would like to Check Out Hunger! The money raised from this campaign directly supports programs that help end hunger and to leverage the power of food to build a healthier community.
Visit local Tops stores and independent retailers (below) from January 30, 2016 to February 20, 2016 to participate!
- TOPS Markets
- Abundance Cooperative Market, Rochester
- Big M, Gates
- Breen’s Market, Williamson
- Breen’s Market, Palmyra
- Caledonia Marketplace, Caledonia
- Hart’s Local Grocers, Rochester
- Hegedorn’s Market, Webster
- Herrema’s Marketplace, Irondequoit
- Lori’s Natural Foods, Henrietta
- Perry Food Market, Perry
- West’s Shurfine, Honeoye
- West’s Shurfine, Livonia
Thank you for supporting Foodlink!
Food for Families
Food for Families is one of the largest food and funds drives for Foodlink, and a collaboration with Tops Friendly Markets and WROC-TV. In 2015, shoppers dropped off food and/or monetary donations to local Tops stores on Dec.11, helping us to bring in over $23,000 and more than 60,000 pounds of food! WROC-TV reported live throughout the day, rotating between the Mt. Read, Brighton, Perinton and Spencerport stores. Thank you to everyone who stopped by to support our efforts to end hunger and leverage the power of food to build a healthier community.
We hope to see you again for another great year in 2016. Please check back in November 2016 to learn more about dates and locations!
Forks & Skis
Forks and Skis is a ski event at Bristol Mountain open to the public for those interested in hitting the slopes while helping Foodlink fulfill its mission of a healthy, hunger-free community. Our 2016 event, which marked the fourth year that Foodlink has been involved, raised more than $27,000!
The event was previously named the Muxy Ski-Off in honor of the late Gary Muxworthy, a sports enthusiast who devoted much of his life to raising money for charities through exciting sporting events.
Please check out the Forks & Skis Facebook page with a gallery of photos from the past events.
- Bristol Mountain Lift Pass
- Lunch in the Bristol Mountain Ski Lodge
- Admission in to the NASTAR Open Timing Race (optional)
- ‘Dash for Cash’ (top 8 Mens and Women from the Open Timing Race are eligible)
- One Free drink at our Apres Ski party! The Apres Ski party will feature a cash bar, awards presentation for the ‘Dash for Cash’, and music by the WillBillys!
Thank you to our 2016 sponsors:
Head of the Class
Five Star Improvements
Webster Properties / The Mountainside Lodge
Culver Road Armory
FL Gorman, Esq.
Kenney Shelton Liptak Nowak LLP
Mead Malloy Insurance Agency
Park Ave Bike Shop
Dunkin Donuts/The Ribeiro Companies
Spezio Property Services
Stifel/The Brown Group
Woods Oviatt Gilman
Aloi Materials Handling
AM Stern Roofing
Jeff Balta and Family
Dawn Aprile Real Estate Developer
Donovan Real Estate Services
FDP Management, LLC.
HighPoint Business Park
Leo J Roth Corp.
My House Digital
Pittsford-Brighton Snowplowing and Landscape Services, Inc
The Pierce Family
The Mens Room
Superior Contracting Services (SCS)
Sign and Lighting Services (SLS)
Iron Smoke Whiskey
Jacqueline Hopkinson, Esq / Woodbury Corp.
One Step Tree and Lawn Care
Rochester Home Builders
Village Gate/Gary Stern
Welch & O’Donoghue Surveyors
Newsletters & Press
- 2016 Spring Newsletter
- 2015 Annual Report
- 2015 Fall Newsletter
- 2015 Spring Newsletter
- 2014 Annual Report
- 2014 Fall Newsletter
- 2012-13 Annual Report
Foodlink’s monthly e-newsletter
Get email updates about the latest Foodlink news, including events, fundraisers and ways you can help make a difference.
In the news …
- (5/14, TWC News) Combating Summer Hunger One Bite At A Time
- (5/14, WHEC) Summer meals program works to provide food for kids
- (5/11, 13WHAM) Work begins on new Foodlink kitchen on Mt. Read Blvd.
- (5/11, News 8) Foodlink expansion underway
- (5/11, TWC News) Foodlink to triple capacity with Community Kitchen providing 12,000 meals a day
- (5/11, WXXI) Foodlink’s New Community Kitchen
- (4/6, RBJ) Community concert to raise money for Foodlink
- (4/1, News 8) Girl Scouts, Foodlink team up to fight hunger
- (3/30, D&C) Foodlink is using URI money for a new community kitchen
- (3/30, 13 WHAM) Foodlink, Garden Factory touting ‘Front Yard Facelift’ raffle
- (3/28, News 8) Foodlink, other Rochester organizations paying close attention to state budget
- (3/11, News 8) Foodlink and MVP Health Care show families how to eat healthy on a budget
- (2/29, Fox) Previewing ‘Canstruction’ on Good Day Rochester
- (2/28, D&C) What’s in a school lunch … and who’s eating it?
- (2/23, WXXI) Connections: Food deserts and the failure of Constanino’s
- (2/14, D&C) Guest column: Constantino’s was wrong solution for neighborhood
Recent Press Releases (date sent to media)
- (5/14) Summer Meals Fest welcomes hundreds to Frontier Field
- (5/11) Foodlink, officials celebrate Community Kitchen groundbreaking
- (3/29) Girl Scouts partner with Foodlink to fight hunger
- (3/18) Urban Agriculture Working Group City-wide Conference
- (3/8) Cooking Matters At The Store at Price Rite
- (2/25) 9th annual Canstruction Rochester kickoff event
- (2/17) Forks & Skis charity event at Bristol Mountain
- (2/3) Check Out Hunger at Tops and other local stores