News & Events
Events & Fundraisers
Our dedicated staff, with the help of loyal volunteers, hosts events throughout the year. Each event is unique and engaging – thank you to all who participate!
Hosting an Event or Fundraiser
To get started, please download the Quick Start Guide and Food Drive Application (1 combined document). Filling out the form is mandatory for all food drives, even if you have hosted one before.
For more information, contact Juliana Stefani (585) 413-4077
Upcoming Events and Fundraisers:
Rochester Amerks, Friday, February 12, 2016 at 7:05pm at the Blue Cross Arena.
February 29, 2016- March 11, 2016. The event takes place at the Wintergardens at Legacy Tower (the former Bausch and Lomb building). Interested in learning more or becoming a sponsor? Click here.
Forks and Skis
Friday, March 4, 2016 at Bristol Mountain Forks and Skis is an annual charity fundraiser that benefits Foodlink. In the past three years, Forks & Skis has raised over $70,000 for our community programs and services. Cost for the event is $75, and that includes: lift ticket, lunch, open timing NASTAR (optional), and drink voucher for Après Ski. Live music will be provided by WillBillys! For more information on sponsorship opportunities or to purchase tickets, please click here.
Rochester Amerks, Friday, March 25, 2016 at 7:05pm at the Blue Cross Arena.
If Music Be the Food
Concert Three: Monday, May 2, 2016 at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 25 Westminster Road in Rochester. Program: Brahms Quintet for Strings in G Major performed by the Ying Quartet with Carol Rodland, viola; selections from Brahms Magelone Lieder performed by Jan Opalach, baritone and Ted Taylor, piano; Excerpts from Mussorgsky’s “Pictures at an Exhibition” performed by Robert Poovey, organ, and Eastman students; Wagner’s “Ride of the Valkyries” for organ duo, performed by Robert Poovey and Karl Robson. Admission is non-perishable food items or a cash donation to Foodlink.
Red Tail Ridge Winery: Good Karma
Red Tail Ridge Winery is proud to support Foodlink by doing what they do best, making wine. 10% of the profits from their Good Karma wine goes to Foodlink. For more information on the wine, the winery and where to purchase Good Karma click here.
Festival of Food
SAVE THE DATE: September 19th, 2016
Festival of Food features over 100 local restaurants, wineries, breweries, bakeries and farms sampling the best food and drink in the region. It’s the best and biggest food and drink tasting event in the region!
Excellus BlueCross BlueShield
Santiago Burger LLP
The Bonadio Group
Big Apple Deli Products
Conway Beam Leasing
DeCarolis Truck Rental
Monroe Veterinary Associates
Finger Lakes Health Systems Agency
City Dining Cards
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church
City of Rochester
McCarthy Tents and Events
Hunger Action Month
September is Hunger Action Month (HAM). HAM is the Feeding America® network’s nationwide awareness campaign designed to mobilize the public to take action on the issue of hunger. The campaign brings attention to the reality of food insecurity in the United States and promotes ways for individuals to get involved in the movement to help end hunger. Events are planned throughout the month to raise awareness about the effort to build a healthy, hunger-free community.
- 30 Ways in 30 Days Calendar: A call to action calendar about hunger is a great resource on how you can do something about hunger all month long. Be on the lookout for the 2016 September calendar later this year. Here’s a look back at last year’s:
- Government Proclamation: City Hall and the NYS Assembly have designated September as Hunger Action Month.
- Lighting of the Library: The Rundell Library in Downtown Rochester will ‘go orange’ for Foodlink by displaying orange lighting throughout the month of September.
- Hunger Action Day: Orange is the color of hunger (the first food stamps were orange). On September 3rd, wear orange to show your support and raise awareness. Change your Facebook and Twitter profile and cover pics to orange. Then post pictures online and tag #hungeraction.
- Social Media: Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram
- Spoontember: This online initiative lasts all month long, supporters can share a ‘spoon selfie’ and challenge friends to do the same. Include a hunger fact, too, to raise awareness! Don’t forget to tag @foodlinkny and use #spoontember
- Festival of Food: The annual tasting event is in September (more information will be available as we get closer!). More than 100 restaurants, wineries and breweries will offer samples of the best food and drink from the Rochester/Finger Lakes region. Proceeds benefit Foodlink.
Hunger Action Month is about action. Donate. Volunteer. Advocate. Do what you can to help end hunger is this community.
More resources are available at hungeractionmonth.org.
Fill the Bus
Fill the bus and help fill the bellies of hungry children in the Rochester region.
Wegmans, Foodlink, 13WHAM, Fox Rochester, and the CW are teaming up for a two-week food drive, “Fill the Bus.” The campaign supports Foodlink’s BackPack program, which alleviates child hunger on weekends and school breaks. Shoppers can go to any of the 21 local Wegmans stores from Sept. 13 -26 and donate suggested items for the BackPack program. Each store has wish lists posted as well as suggested items for sale right in the front end. Shoppers also can purchase $5 or $10 bags filled with the most-needed items. All donations will stay in the Rochester and Finger Lakes region.
Foodlink operates the BackPack program at about 80 area schools, reaching more than 2,000 children each week. Each Friday or before a holiday, a child is given a bag in their backpack filled with enough healthy, kid-friendly meals to last all weekend. The hope is by alleviating child hunger, these children can be focused on school and success.
In its first two years, the Fill the Bus food drive has brought in more than 189,000 pounds of food. The goal for the third year was 160,000 pounds of food. That’s enough to fill 40,000 bags of food for the children. (An average bag weighs 4 lbs).
Other important info:
- 1 in 5 children in our area are considered food insecure – which basically means they do not know where their next meal is coming from.
- Suggested items include healthy, kid-friendly food such as: healthy cereal, oatmeal cups, applesauce cups, granola bars, macaroni and cheese, juice boxes (100% fruit), boxed raisins, peanut butter, canned tuna or chicken, canned fruit and vegetables (pop-tops preferred)
Check Out Hunger
Check Out Hunger is a point-of-sale campaign at local partnering grocers. Coupons for $2, $3, and $5 are placed at all registers. Every time you are grocery shopping, say ‘YES’ when your cashier asks if you would like to Check Out Hunger! The money raised from this campaign directly supports programs that help end hunger and to leverage the power of food to build a healthier community.
Visit local Tops stores and independent retailers (below) from January 30, 2016 to February 20, 2016 to participate!
- TOPS Markets
- Abundance Cooperative Market, Rochester
- Big M, Gates
- Breen’s Market, Williamson
- Breen’s Market, Palmyra
- Caledonia Marketplace, Caledonia
- Hart’s Local Grocers, Rochester
- Hegedorn’s Market, Webster
- Herrema’s Marketplace, Irondequoit
- Lori’s Natural Foods, Henrietta
- Perry Food Market, Perry
- West’s Shurfine, Honeoye
- West’s Shurfine, Livonia
Thank you for supporting Foodlink!
Food for Families
Food for Families is one of the largest food and funds drives for Foodlink, and a collaboration with Tops Friendly Markets and WROC-TV. In 2015, shoppers dropped off food and/or monetary donations to local Tops stores on Dec.11, helping us to bring in over $23,000 and more than 60,000 pounds of food! WROC-TV reported live throughout the day, rotating between the Mt. Read, Brighton, Perinton and Spencerport stores. Thank you to everyone who stopped by to support our efforts to end hunger and leverage the power of food to build a healthier community.
We hope to see you again for another great year in 2016. Please check back in November 2016 to learn more about dates and locations!
Forks & Skis
Forks and Skis is a ski event open to the public for those interested in hitting the slopes while helping Foodlink fulfill its mission of a healthy, hunger-free community.
Thanks to the 40 sponsors and more than 90 attendees, the 2015 event raised over $25,000 for Foodlink and our efforts to end hunger in the region. In its first three years, the event raised over $70,000 for Foodlink.
2016 marks the fourth year for this charity ski event. In 2013 and 2014, the event was named the Muxy Ski-Off in honor of the late Gary Muxworthy, a sports enthusiast who devoted much of his life to raising money for charities through exciting sporting events.
Please check out the Forks & Skis Facebook page with a gallery of photos from the 2015 event.
Purchase Tickets on Eventbrite!
Thank you to our 2016 sponsors:
Head of the Class
Five Star Improvements
Webster Properties / The Mens Room
Culver Road Armory
Kenney Shelton Liptak Nowak LLP
Mead Malloy Insurance Agency
Park Ave Bike Shop
Dunkin Donuts/The Ribeiro Companies
Stifel/The Brown Group
AM Stern Roofing
Jeff Balta and Family
Dawn Aprile Real Estate Developer
Donovan Real Estate Services
My House Digital
The Pierce Family
Sign and Lighting Services (SLS)
Jacqueline Hopkinson, Esq / Woodbury Corp.
One Step Tree and Lawn Care
Rochester Home Builders
Village Gate/Gary Stern
Welch & O’Donoghue Surveyors
Newsletters & Press
- Fall Newsletter 2015
- Spring Newsletter 2015
- Annual Report 2013-2014
- Fall Newsletter 2014
- Annual Report 2012-2013
- Summer 2013
- Winter 2013
- Annual Report 2011-2012
Recent Press Releases
- Hunger Action Month
- Community Store Opens on Carter Street
- Summer Meals Kickoff
- Curbside Market Begins Summer Season
- Hope on Tap
- Forks & Skis 2015
- Photo and Recipe Challenge for National Nutrition Month
- Community Store Opens
- Tap it Forward Partnership
- Charity Brew Released
- Foodlink Board Names New Executive Directors
- Hunger in America 2014
- Curbside Market Expansion
- Summer Meals Kickoff 2014
- Map the Meal Gap 2014
- Day of Caring at Foodlink
- ESL Charitable Foundation Donates $100,000 to Summer Meals Kickoff