The Curbside Market – a mobile market that serves the Rochester region, is now expanding its efforts to provide greater access to WIC (Women, Infants and Children)- eligible food for its customers.
Access and ease of use can be a challenge, even for those receiving federal assistance. WIC recipients report that finding stores near them that accept WIC can be difficult and navigating through a grocery store of products that may or may not be eligible can be time-consuming. Curbside Market + WIC addresses this by offering over 95% WIC- eligible products in areas where WIC vendors are scarce. This past year, the Curbside Market became the nation’s first mobile WIC vendor.
“WIC” refers to the USDA’s Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children, which provides resources and financial support for low-income families with children, up to age 5 for nutritious foods to supplement their diets. The Curbside Market sells a full range of WIC- eligible products.
With the release of its new summer schedule (June 6 through Sept. 30), Monday through Saturday, the Curbside Market will be at select locations for those to purchase healthy food items such as fresh fruits, vegetables and WIC-eligible foods.
WIC- eligible products available at the Curbside Market include:
- 100 % juice
- Baby food
- Boxed cereal
- Canned items such as beans, tuna and tomatoes
- Dairy products including whole and 1% milk, as well as block cheeses
- Fresh fruit
- Fresh vegetables
- Infant cereal
- Whole grain items such as spaghetti, brown rice and wheat tortillas
The Curbside Market has been bringing healthy, fresh, affordable food to the Rochester region since 2013. Many residents have come to know and appreciate the Curbside Market staff and their commitment to serving everyone- regardless of age, ability, or status. After scaling back due to the pandemic, the Curbside Market has now expanded to over 50 sites across Monroe County– including 10 approved Curbside Market + WIC locations offering the expanded inventory.
Expanded WIC sites include:
- Father Tracy Center: located at 821 N Clinton Ave. from 12pm – 1:45pm
- Warfield Square: located at 1337 E Main St. from 3:15pm – 5 pm
- Unity Family Medicine at St. Mary’s: located at 89 Genesee St. from 11am – 1pm
- Victory Living Ministries: located at 167 Fulton Ave. from 3pm – 5pm
- Manhattan Square Family Medicine: located at 454 E Broad St. from 12pm – 2pm
- Stonewood Village: located at 200 Myrtlewood Dr. from 3:30 pm – 5pm
- Jordan Health Center: located at 82 Holland St. from 11:30am – 1pm
- Rochester Highlands: located at 47 Green Knolls Dr. from 3pm – 5pm
- James Dobson Apartments: located at 150 Van Auker St. from 12:15pm – 1:45pm
- The Hamilton Apartments: located at 150 185 Mt Hope Ave. from 2pm – 3:30pm
Visit Foodlink’s website to access the full schedule and find all the Curbside Market locations.