My online newsfeed is filled today with adorable children heading back to school. I love seeing these kids decked out in brand new clothes with their endearing smiles and their eagerness to start off another school year. Boy does time fly. While September marks back to school, it also marks Hunger Action Month- a time to take action against those children and adults who struggle with hunger. One in seven Americans don’t know where their next meal is coming from, including one in five children. Foodlink serves 200,000 individuals each year through our network of 500 human service agencies in our 10-county region.
How can you get involved during Hunger Action Month? Here are a few ideas:
- GO ORANGE: Thursday, September 4this Hunger Action Day- where participants are urged to wear orange and post on social media. If you do wear orange, please take a pic, post online with the #hungeraction and tag @foodlinkny.
- Feeding America has a cool app on its Facebook page that lets you turn your original FB profile pic into orange.
- SELFIE STATION: This year, we are pushing selfies. Attached is the selfie sign where you can fill in I will _____ to help fight hunger. Fill in the blank, take a pic of yourself and again share with me and/or social media. Again, don’t forget the #hungeraction and to tag @foodlinkny.
- SHARE THE CALENDAR: Click here for our 30 ways in 30 days calendar. Follow along or share with others ways to take action against hunger.
- SNAP CHALLENGE: Could you live on $5.00/day food budget for a day/week/month? Try it and write a blog, essay, op-ed.
- LIBRARY LIGHTS: The Rundel Library in downtown Rochester is turning its lights orange from September 1-14 to raise awareness.
- FESTIVAL OF FOOD: Foodlink’s largest fundraising event is Monday, September 15th from 6-9pm at the Rochester Public Market. Attendees can enjoy the best in local food and drink. More than 100 restaurants, wineries, breweries, bakeries and specialty food shops will offer delicious and unlimited samples all evening long. Tickets are available at www.foodlinkny.org, Wegmans, and the Rochester Public Library.
- HUMAN LIBRARY: Visit the Rundel library on Saturday, September 27th from 1-4pm and hear real stories about hunger and the challenges facing those on the front lines fighting hunger.
Information on all these ideas and events for Hunger Action Month can be found at www.foodlinkny.org